Why Chocolate is Bad for Your Dogs?
Indeed dogs can be your 24/7 companion. They are always available for you and just for you only. There are three things that dogs love. First of course you as its human best friend, be happy because you are on the top of the list. Second, dogs love to play. It is up to you to define how our dogs play, some would enjoy and settle for short walks in the streets or somewhere where he can enjoy his eyes of things he find interesting. Lastly, dogs love to eat! However although you wanted to share everything to your lovely pet, there are some restrictions that you need to follow in giving your dog some treats.
There are only few people who are not fond of chocolates. In fact almost all would get excited about it. Chocolates come in cakes, drinks, ice-creams and many more. But do you know that your most favorite flavor is actually bad for your dog? You could be torn on which is which, but as long as you will not share your chocolate with your dog, everything will be fine.
So what’s inside this chocolate that it can be bad for dogs yet humans love it so much? Chocolate is extracted from the cocoa fruit. Chocolates contain a certain compound called “Theobromine” which is actually a type of alkaloid. It is somewhat the same with caffeine, both are classified as stimulants. The problem occurs due to the inability of dogs to break this compound. Dogs don’t have the enzyme to metabolize Theobromine thus it stays within the dogs system and becomes toxic. Since it is considered as a stimulant, it affects the central nervous system (CNS) of your dog, causing increase in the level of blood pressure. This will then result to rapid heart rate, seizure, and vomiting, frequent urination, muscle twitching, hyperactive behavior, dehydration and many more. With all of these complications it can certainly put the dog into a fatal condition. In more of common terms, people would say that dogs are allergic to chocolates, dogs are not allergic to chocolates but chocolates are bad for them because there is no way for them to metabolize it.
Moreover the amount of chocolates that can cause those complications mentioned above will actually depend on the size of your dog. Larger dogs may have a much higher tolerance with the toxicity of the compound. Meanwhile the small ones may are more likely to react even in small amount of chocolates. Before thinking of giving your dog some of your favorite sweets, think a thousand times before doing so. You are risking your dog’s life because of your inappropriate thoughts.